The lawsuits over Samsung's exploding Galaxy Note 7 smartphones have begun.
John Waudby, Robert Spuntak, and Mohamad Ibrahim last week filed suit in a New Jersey District Court seeking class-action status and compensation for mobile fees they incurred when they could not use their dangerous phablets. All three purchased their Note 7s in late August, about a week or so before Samsung announced a recall.
It was not until Sept. 21, however, that replacement phones started arriving in stores for those who wanted to risk it with another Note 7. In that time, the plaintiffs allege, they racked up "monthly device and plan charges" that have yet to be reimbursed.
Samsung and the carriers were offering customers the option to exchange a Note 7 for a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, but the lawsuit says those devices "are less expensive and offer less advanced technology than the Note 7."
"We do not comment on pending litigation matters," a company spokeswoman told PCMag in a statement.
As we know now, replacement Note 7s also had issues, prompting Samsung to halt production and sales of the smartphone. Now, customers can choose to swap their Note 7 for another branded phone and receive up to $100 in credit, or hand in the device for a refund or a non-Samsung handset and get $25.
Samsung will reportedly compensate suppliers for unused and unfinished Note 7 parts, as well as the materials bought to make said components. "Samsung will determine the inventory levels for the partner companies and carry out compensation quickly," the company told Reuters.
Despite a risk of fire, some people are holding on to their Note 7s, using rather interesting mental gymnastics to justify the move. PCMag recommends you get rid of your device immediately. Besides the safety risk, you won't be able to take it on an airplane.