News Orgs Sue FBI for Details on San Bernardino iPhone Hacking

...

The Associated Press and two other news organizations sued the FBI on Friday for details about who the agency worked with and how much it spent to hack the San Bernardino killer's iPhone earlier this year.

The lawsuit, filed by the AP, Gannett (which owns USA Today), and Vice Media, "seeks records about the FBI's contract with an unidentified vendor who provided a tool to unlock the phone belonging to Syed Rizwan Farook," the AP said.

The lawsuit was filed in US District Court for the District of Columbia under the US Freedom of Information Act.

"Understanding the amount that the FBI deemed appropriate to spend on the tool, as well as the identity and reputation of the vendor it did business with, is essential for the public to provide effective oversight of government functions and help guard against potential improprieties," the suit argues, according to the AP.

An FBI spokesman told PCMag he could not comment on the pending litigation.

The agency has rejected previous requests to share this information, saying it could affect "enforcement proceedings." The media organizations, however, claim in their suit that "there was no legal basis to withhold the information," and that "the public has a right to know whether the vendor has adequate security measures, is a proper recipient of government funds, and will act only in the public interest," according to the AP.

The Washington Post in April reported that the FBI hired "gray hat" hackers to unlock the phone. Prior to that, there was speculation that the FBI received assistance from Israeli security firm Cellebrite do the job, but neither party has confirmed that information. Meanwhile, FBI Director James Comey has suggested that the FBI paid the mysterious hackers more than $1 million.

The issue dates back to late March when the US Department of Justice withdrew its legal action against Apple, claiming that law enforcement officials had found a way to bypass the encryption on the smartphone without Cupertino's assistance. Before that, the government said it needed Apple's help to unlock the shooter's phone, even claiming in a court filing that an Apple-created encryption key was the only way to access data stored on the phone.

Apple CEO Tim Cook, backed by many other tech industry leaders, rejected the government's call for help, saying that creating a backdoor in this case would lead to a slippery slope for future encryption cases.

The suit, meanwhile, comes as a University of Cambridge researcher claims that a hack of the iPhone 5c in question "does not require any expensive and sophisticated equipment."

Categories
APPLICATIONS
0 Comment

Leave a Reply

Captcha image


RELATED BY

  • 5300c769af79e

    The Best Camera Phones of 2016

    In fact, we've pretty much reached the point that you can leave your old point-and-shoot at home as long as you've got a good camera phone in your pocket.We've gathered the top ten camera phones here.
  • 5300c769af79e

    Google Can Now 'Speak Emoji' on Twitter

    Now you can just tweet the burger emoji at Google for an answer.On Tuesday, Google announced that it can now "speak emoji.
  • 5300c769af79e

    Report: Snapchat Users Watching Ridiculous Amount of Video

    The app now sees 10 billion daily video views—up from 8 billion in February, according to Bloomberg, which also tipped a growing number of video "Stories" broadcast to mobile devices.Though it started as a way to send self-destructing photos with snippets of text, Snapchat has grown into a formidable social network, offering video and audio calls, face-swapping selfies, and faster ways to catch up with friends.
  • 5300c769af79e

    DEAL: Nest Thermostat (3rd Gen) is $199 Thru July 4 ($50 Off)

    Nest Thermostat, one of the few items of tech I’ve purchased within the past few years that I often refer to as “an item I can’t live without,” is discounted at the moment in celebration of July 4th.Not all that familiar with Nest Thermostats?